Integrity | Experience | Vision
Encourage open communication and transparency with the residents by continuing to build on the positive momentum created by Boulder City’s new leadership team to actively engage with residents via social media, print media, and town hall meetings.
Promote Historic Preservation
Seek to build consensus with supporters of historic preservation to determine the best use of historic buildings in Boulder City and strategically plan for the most effective way to preserve them.
Prudent Financial Management
Continue to identify potential inefficiencies in the City’s budget to find better ways to “do business” and explore different methods of diversifying streams of revenue coming into the City without raising taxes. Continue to invest in much-needed infrastructure.
Support the newly formed Boulder City Economic Development Advisory Committee which represents all aspects of the Boulder City Community. Continue to support local businesses and the Chamber of Commerce by providing user-friendly city services.
Continue to ensure and support high levels of public safety.
Support slow growth within the Controlled Growth Ordinance.
Peggy's Accomplishments during her most recent term in office...
- Increased communication and transparency with residents – supported the new Communication Plan which promotes multiple forms of social and print media to reach out to and interact with residents. Also participated in two Town Hall meetings which hosted discussions about economic development and issues related to water in Southern Nevada.
- Participated in formulating the new 5-year Strategic Plan which outlines the priorities for the city to achieve in a measurable and accountable manner with regular updates to the community.
- Hosted the first annual “Boulder City Showcase” which was sponsored by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority and the Chamber of Commerce. This Showcase was designed to encourage smaller tour groups and meeting planners to bring their visitors to Boulder City. The intent was to expose tour directors to the historic nature of Boulder City and to enjoy the adventure tourism offered locally. Showcase Boulder City resulted in the LVCVA supporting a tour of historic homes in Boulder City in April 2019. The second Boulder City Showcase is scheduled to be held in April 2019.
- Supported the full staffing at City Hall including a new Communications Manager, Utilities Director, Economic Development Coordinator, Purchasing Manager and Financial Analyst. These new positions will enable to us to improved customer service, enhance communications and to run our city more efficiently.
- Instrumental in locating the One Stop Career Center at the Boulder City Library when sitting on the Workforce Connections Board. This innovative program offers on-the-job training, help with passing the GED, and many other services in a convenient location for students attending high school.
- Supported significant much-needed improvements to the infrastructure within the electrical, water and sewer divisions. Also enhancements have been made to local parks, golf courses, the recreation building and on-going maintenance of the pool. All of this was accomplished while keeping the lowest property tax rates and utility rates in Southern Nevada.
- Always maintained a courteous and respectful public and private demeanor in my dialogue with citizens, council members and city staff in order to provide an environment of civility at City Hall and in the community.
- Helped to raise thousands of dollars for the Senior Centers Meals on Wheels program which services the elderly and disabled who are homebound.
Peggy represents Boulder City on these Boards and Committees...
Southern Nevada Water Authority (SMWA) Board Member
The SNWA was formed in 1991 to address water issues on a regional basis rather than an individual water purveyor basis. Boulder City is one of these member purveyor agencies. The SNWA member agencies serve more than 2.1 million residents in Southern Nevada. It is responsible for the water treatment, delivery, as well as acquiring and managing long-term water resources for Southern Nevada.
Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) Board Member
The LVCVA is the destination marketing organization of Southern Nevada, promoting tourism, conventions, meetings and special events. I was elected by fellow Board members to be Secretary of the Executive Board. I also am Chair of the Policy Committee and sit on the Audit Committee.
Meet Peggy Leavitt...
Peggy Leavitt was elected into office as Boulder City Councilwoman in June, 2011. In 2015, Councilwoman Leavitt was re-elected to another four-year term.
Ms. Leavitt holds a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Wyoming and a master’s degree from the University of Nevada Las Vegas. Prior to serving on the City Council, she worked at the Southern Nevada Children’s Home in Boulder City, a permanent placement for abused and neglected children. She served 8 years as a social worker and 12 years as Superintendent. After the closure of the Children’s Home, she worked for Child Haven as a manager until her retirement from Clark County in 2002. During her tenure, Ms. Leavitt received accolades from several Governors and the Clark County Commission for her exemplary work in children’s and family services.
Ms. Leavitt has been a resident of Clark County since 1974 and active in her community. As a City Councilwoman, Ms. Leavitt serves on the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority and Southern Nevada Water Authority. She also serves as Boulder City’s Mayor pro tem. She is a Past President of Boulder City Sunrise Rotary Club and a former District Governor’s Representative. In addition, she formerly served as a Board member for Workforce Connections, Nevada League of Cities, Friends of the Arts, Lend A Hand of Boulder City, Senior Center of Boulder City, Red Mountail Music Company, and Southern Nevada Strong, a regional consortium which developed a regional plan to integrate jobs with housing and transportation options in Southern Nevada.
She is married to Charlie with four sons and 11 grandchildren. In her spare time, she enjoys playing golf, reading, traveling, and spending time with her grandchildren.